Application process is now closed!
If you’re 14-25 years old and have ever been in foster care, you’re invited!!! Join other current or former foster youth from across Oregon for three days of advocacy, activism, leadership and fun!
Join us in Salem, Saturday, Feb 4th through Monday, 6th!
The Advocacy Convening is a 3-day, 2-night conference where you will have a chance to be a part of Oregon history!
- We’ll learn how ideas become law in Oregon
- We’ll learn to advocate for all youth in foster care
- We’ll learn to tell our stories so legislators know what youth in foster care need
But the convening isn’t all about work! You’ll make friends and participate in fun evening activities!
Here is an idea of what your time at the convening will look like:
- Evening Activities
- AM Session: Learning about the Sibling Bill of Rights
- PM Session: Preparing for meetings with Senators & Representatives
- Evening Activities
- Advocacy Day: Meetings with Legislators at the capital building
You can apply by downloading the documents below:
- Application Youth Attendee (as a PDF file)
- Application Youth Attendee (as a DOC file)
- Application Youth Attendee (online)
- Release Form Youth & Adults
- Application Adult Support (as a PDF file)
- Application Adult Support (as a DOC file)
- Application Adult Support (online)
- Background Check Adult Supporters
- Adult Supporter Description
Foster Parents & Caseworkers
This 3-day, 2-night gathering focuses on teamwork, critical thinking, public speaking, and leadership development, building a sense of community, having fun and making history! Through daily workshops and activities, youth will work together and learn how to use their experiences to affect policy change. On the final day of the conference they will get the chance to share their stories with legislators during a day at the Capitol.
Important Documents (will be loaded soon!):
- This link goes to the 2017 Pack List, Be sure to use it! Packing List!
- This link will take you to a copy of OFYC’s Expectations of youth who attend our conferences: 2017 Advocacy Convening Expectations
- This link is to a letter you can give to your teachers or school to try to get credit for attending the conference or to get an excused absence: School Letter
- This flier was created to help explain what the 2017 Advocacy Convening is to Foster Parents & Caseworkers, you may want to show this to yours if they have questions before letting you apply: Information for Foster Parent
- This flier is the same as the image above and has the basic details for the conference, feel free to share it with your friends! 2017 Advocacy Convening Flier
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Lisa McMahon, OFYC Program Director at 503-236-9754 or by emailing Lisa@cffo.org